Tuesday, October 14, 2014

CAED Day 26: The Art Of Listening

I consider good music to be among my essential art supplies.

Hippie had to work this past weekend so I spent most of it with the other loves of my life: art and music (and my cats).  Contrary to what Hippie might tell you, I am well aware that there's been a lot of great music made since 1989.  It's just that I don't often emotionally connect to it as easily as I do with the music I grew up listening to.  However, recently I've been listening to a lot of new music.  It just so happens that the majority of it is by artists I have been listening to for as long I can remember, but that still counts right?  

Here's what's been on rotation in my art studio recently:

Hypnotic Eye by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

My only complaint about this album is that it's too short.  Every song is a gem but my favorites are "American Dream Plan B" and "U Get Me High".




50 St. Catherine's Drive by Robin Gibb

I was a card carrying member of The Bee Gee's fan club at age 9 but didn't fully appreciate Robin's contribution to the band until I got a little older.  It's wonderful and also bittersweet to hear his lovely voice on this posthumous release.  "Don't Cry Alone" and "I Am The World" are among the standouts on this album for me.




lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar by Robert Plant

The first time I listened to this I wasn't sure about it but it has definitely grown on me since then.  The exotic feel of these songs makes them fun and inspiring to paint to.  My favorites are "Rainbow" and "Turn It Up".




Modern Vintage by Sixx A.M.

Modern Vintage is a very appropriate title for this album.  It definitely has strong influences from the past but is also something new.  I liked it right away but I suspect I need more listens to fully appreciate it.  




24 Karat Gold by Stevie Nicks

This is the one I've listened to the most over the last few days.  It's Stevie Nicks.  It's amazing.  I don't know what else to say.  My favorite song on it is "Hard Advice" but there isn't a bad one.




Andalusia Rose by Andalusia Rose

My friend Wendy Gadzuk fronts this band and does a fantastic job.  Remember when I said I had trouble connecting with new music?  This is definitely one of the exceptions to that.  My favorite track on this EP is "Red Lantern".




Painting Piano by Stan Stewart

Sometimes when I am focusing on the more detailed aspects of painting, I prefer to listen to instrumental music. These songs were inspired by art and I definitely find them inspiring to listen to.  They provide the perfect soundtrack when I reach that calm place in my painting process.  





As you can see, I have plenty of musical motivation to keep me in the studio these days.  I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time listening to music and creating art.











Art Fairy: I Believe In Art Speaker
Art Fairy: I Believe In Art Speaker by Victoriart
View more Artist Bumpster Speakers at zazzle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment