Thursday, June 26, 2014

Chaos and Calm

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."
- Stephen Sondheim

Chaos In Progress

A musician I used to know once told me that for him playing the guitar was like meditating. I wanted to reply that it was the same for me and painting but I realized that wasn't entirely accurate. The truth is that painting, for me, is more like an exorcism!

More Chaos

Things get a little chaotic in the studio sometimes when I am painting. I take a lot of my emotions out on my poor canvases. The other night I even flung one of my paintings in progress across the room, by accident, of course.

Chaos and Calm - Acrylic on 11x14 Canvas

However, there is always a calm after the storm - a point where the colors of whatever I'm feeling begin to take shape on the canvas and start to make sense. It's then that I can get down to the more quiet, focused work that is in fact meditative for me. Though I have to admit that sometimes I enjoy the chaotic part just a tiny bit more.






No comments:

Post a Comment