Thursday, January 17, 2013

Books, Books and Less Books

Design your own personalised greeting cards at Zazzle

Once upon a time, when I was a young girl, I had a lot of dreams and visions about how my life would be when I was an adult.  In every single one of them I had A LOT of books.  These books would of course be stored in my specially designed library (I made diagrams) which took up an entire wing of the castle where I would someday live happily ever after with whichever member of The Rolling Stones eventually won me over.

As I got older I began to realize that the whole castle thing was perhaps a tad unrealistic and I made the compassionate choice to live without both Mick and Keith rather than break either one of their hearts.  And yet I never did quite let go of the A LOT of books idea.

My messy library before I did the unthinkable.

Fast forward about thirty years and what I had was a classic case of "Too many books, not enough shelves".  So in 2012 I did two things I never, ever, not even in my wildest dreams, thought I would do:  I got rid of some books (gasps of shock and awe) and I got a Kindle (stunned silence).

My Library with less books.

Of course I still love actual books and will still buy them, keep them, look at them, touch them, smell them and yes, even read them.    However, the first time I held my Kindle, a magical thing happened; I realized it was possible for a woman who lives in a cabbage to have a castle sized library. 

And she read happily ever after.

"My Favorite Love Story Is Ours" Valentine's Day Greeting Card
"My Favorite Love Story Is Ours" Valentine's Day Greeting Card by time2see
You can sell greeting cards , invitations, stamps and more on Zazzle.com!

2 comments:

  1. I too have a house full of books! One of my daughters once said,'if you want to know about something, you can be sure that Mum's got a book about it' - that was before the days of the internet, of course. I don't buy as many non-fiction books as I used to now that google can supply me with information on most things! Which is just as well as I don't have room for any more bookcases. And the other day, I even caught myself wondering what it would be like to own a Kindle; but since I can't afford one, I'm spared that temptation :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, thanks for the comment. My kindle is not one of the fancy ones and was given to me as a gift (I may have dropped a hint or two that I wanted one). I was worried It would cause to spend more money on books but it has actually saved me money with all the books you can download for free or at little cost. I'm hooked now. :)

      Delete