Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Home Sweet Home

The Cabbage

I was hoping to be able to tell you all about my completed master bath remodel this week but I am still fussing with the final details. So in the meantime, I thought I'd tell you a little bit more about our home.

There is a skylight but no windows in the kitchen,
so I painted this mural behind the sink. 

I call my house, “The Cabbage”, which is short for “Cabagelow”, a word I made up using syllables from the words Cabin, Cottage & Bungalow. The original part of the home is a craftsman style bungalow, built in 1920. The cabin part is a spacious addition off the kitchen that literally looks like a log cabin. The cottage part is more for the garden cottage feel of the home than for any architectural feature.
 
Our cat Bart graciously shares his dining room with us

I know it sounds kind of crazy but it's just crazy enough for me. In fact, if I could have created my own home I think I would have come up with something very close to a Cabagelow. I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it, it was all the different homes I had been imagining for myself all in one!

Home is where my scarf collection is.

Of course it isn't perfect and that is another thing I love about it. There is all kinds of room for improvement and a ton of decorating opportunities. It might seem high maintenance to some but it is solid, with “good bones” as they say, and it is the kind of home that can grow with you. Hippie and I and our cats and my muse are all very happy here.


Decorating the fireplace mantel is an ongoing challenge for me.

Now, if I can just get the bathroom finished! More on that and some other home projects I have in the works soon, I hope. Until then, Happy Creating! :) 

Click here to read more posts about "The Cabbage". 

9 comments:

  1. I love your home... as a former owner of a 1922 home that was a mix as well of building styles, you live in my dream home! Thanks for popping in and wishing me the best in the pursuit for what may be our next dream home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruby and good luck with everything. Will be thinking good thoughts for you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for joining the link up party today! So happy to have you join!
    Hope you have a lovely day girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. found you through the link up! saying hello!!

    Hope you had a good day! Stop by nichollvincent.blogspot.com and say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I saw you on the link up! Love your blog!
    Hope you had a good day! Stop by http://grapefruitprincess.blogspot.com and say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anni. I am following your blog now. Tried to leave a comment there but I'm not sure it worked. Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. I love that you have photos of your cat in here! Makes me feel at home! My sweet Vera always seems to get in my photos somehow.. but I can't blame her.. she is a star!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tami. I'm pretty sure my cats think this house belongs to them and they just let us live here! :)

      Delete
  6. I love your background. Very colorful!

    Following from wonderful wednesday. Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can.

    Look forward to following you!
    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete