Thursday, December 11, 2014

My Top Ten Posts Of 2014 #9: The Art Of Making Art A Priority

A reminder to put art first.


My ninth most popular post in 2014 was "The Art Of Making Art A Priority", part of my Create Art Every Day Challenge (as are 4 other posts in my top ten).  That challenge is still imparting lessons to me and here's one of them: making art a priority is really about making myself a priority.  It's about valuing myself and taking care of myself so that I have the time, the space and the energy to follow my muse and do what I love to do, which, incidentally, may or may not fall under someone else's definition of what practicing art is.  It may be gardening or home decorating or taking photos or dancing to Motown music with my cats.  I put these things under the general heading of art because my definition of art, without question, includes co-creating with nature, making a home, noticing beauty and expressing joy.  It just so happens that all these activities also really inspire and inform my paintings.

I don't know why it took me so long to figure out how to put the things that make me happy first.  To be truthful, I still struggle with it.  However, I am getting better at it and the best thing about that is that everyone around me benefits from my victories.


No comments:

Post a Comment