Monday, October 6, 2014

CAED Day 22: The Art Of Repurposing

My former art studio closet and door

Remember when I took a sledgehammer to the closet in my art studio?  What a good time that was!  However, as eager as I was to get rid of that closet, I didn't want to get rid of the old door that went with it.  I had no idea what I could possibly do with it but I kept it anyway, storing it with all the other salvaged materials in our garage.

Then a couple of months ago it became clear that we needed some kind of divider between our kitchen and our sunken living room to keep one of our elderly cats from falling down the stairs.  After some thought I came up with a plan to use the old door for this purpose.  I just had Hippie cut it to size and we installed it horizontally, repurposing the old hinges and the doorknob as well.  I'm really happy with it.

Door repurposed into a cat gate

Of course this still left me with part of a door.  I'm glad I held onto that too because last weekend, when I was helping Hippie work on our front porch, I got an idea for how to repurpose that and some of the trim from that old closet too.


What remained of the closet door and part of the trim that used to frame it

All I did was paint the trim and the outer frame of the door white,  then paint the inner panel with chalkboard paint.  Once Hippie and I hung the pieces up by our front door they became the perfect chalkboard sign for our front porch.


Door remnant and trim repurposed into a chalkboard

I really like how it turned out and how it helps balance our unevenly spaced windows and door.


The Cabbage Porch

And that's how one door came to serve two very different purposes in our home.





Art Fairies At Work Throw
Art Fairies At Work Throw by Victoriart
Check out other Inspiration Throw Blankets at zazzle.com


Purple Patina: Dragonfly Door Hangers
Purple Patina: Dragonfly Door Hangers by Cabagelow
Check out Boho Door Hanger online at zazzle

4 comments: