Wednesday, September 3, 2014

CAED Day 2: The Art Of Hand Lettering

Yesterday's creative project was this week's chalkboard reminder

Since creating the chalkboard wall in my art studio, I have been writing weekly quotes, affirmations or reminders on the area above my sink.  Most of the time I just scribble something hastily in my own handwriting but every now and then I make the extra effort to practice some hand lettering like I did yesterday.




My love for typography became obvious at an early age when I borrowed a book called 101 Alphabets from my older sister just to look at all the pretty letters in it.  Now, even though there are a gazillion fonts on the internet, I still tend to use my old, beat up copy of this book as a reference when I do my chalkboard lettering.




Of course my letters never look exactly like the ones in the book just like all my finished creative projects never end up looking exactly like I initially envision them.  Instead they are always a little more imperfect which I think makes them just a little bit better.

Note: This was #6 of my Top Ten Posts of 2014.  Click here to see another hand lettering project.




Art Fairies: Art Is Magic Cards
Art Fairies: Art Is Magic Cards by Victoriart
Look at other Artist Cards at zazzle.com


Art Fairy Inital: A Personalized Necklace
Art Fairy Inital: A Personalized Necklace by Victoriart
Shop for Artist Necklaces online at Zazzle.com

Art Fairy Inital: Z Key Chain
Art Fairy Inital: Z Key Chain by Victoriart
Look at other Artist Keychains at zazzle.com

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, love your book! And your chalkboard affirmations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lettering! I've always had a fascination with fonts but my attempts at writing in gorgeous calligraphy come out more like stick figure, absolutely love yours though!

    ReplyDelete