Saturday, November 12, 2011

30 Days of Holiday Cards - Day 17: A Claus To Believe In


Today's card is my "Colorful Claus" Santa Art card.  On the front it pictures my colorful digital painting of Santa and inside it reads "May all your holiday wishes come true" (or customize with your own text). 

I was probably around six years old when I realized "the truth" about Santa Claus but I remained in denial until I was much older.  I told myself it was because I didn't want to spoil my parents' fun but I also didn't want to spoil my own.  However, even long after the proverbial cat was out of the bag, I would still get one or two presents where the tag read, "from Santa" (with handwriting that looked suspiciously like my Mother's) and I still do (the handwriting now looking suspiciously like my husband's).

I know some people think that encouraging children to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy is perpetuating some big lie and failing to prepare them for the harsh realities of the world.  I'm not as cynical as that but sometimes I question why we need these external figures to represent the spirit of our own generosity.  My hope is that it is an exercise in selflessness;  a way to practice and know the joy of giving to others without claiming the credit; a method of blessing others freely and anonymously with no expectations of receiving anything in return.

If that is the case, then I very much still believe in Santa Claus and I always will.


No comments:

Post a Comment